Hitchhiking in Tajikistan video compilation
Hitchhiking in Tajikistan
Hitchhiking in Tajikistan was a wonderful adventure and we had a great time learning about local traditions of this unique country and being surrounded by the stunning nature.
Hitchhiking in the west of the country was childishly easy and people were always most happy to help you, invite you to their home or show you around. Thumbing across the Pamir Highway was challenging due to the bad road conditions and scarce traffic but it was made up by the incredible hospitality of the local people.
In total we covered in Tajikistan 1833 km and were picked up by 32 amazing people, which means that on average one driver took us for 57 km.
Tajikistan in videos
If you are interested in Tajik culture culture we strongly recommend watching all our videos devoted to it:
Our hitchhiking adventures in Tajikistan
If you’d rather read about our adventures than watch videos, here you will find everything that happened to us in Tajikistan:
- Tajik peculiarities and religious disputes – In the first city on our way through Tajikistan we learn about the importance of the floor space, cook a Tajik national dish, watch its fierce national sport, visit undiscovered gems and participate in religious disputes…
- Hanging out with a local celebrity and attending a Tajik wedding – In the second city on our way through Tajikistan we meet the legendary Tajik hospitality, make friends with a local celebrity and attend a Tajik wedding! Wondering why the bride was so sad? Read on…
- Hitchhiking to the Fann Mountains and visiting a yurt – On the way to the Fann Mountains in Tajikistan we hitch with a rich land owner, get invited to a yurt by a shepherd, meet John Rambo and a nasty taxi driver. Wondering what a Tajik yurt looks like from the inside? Check it out…
- Invited to a mountain village and hitchhikng packed like Tajik sardines – On the way to Iskanderkul we get invited to a mountain village, learn about the benefits of smearing butter all over your chest, are greeted by the village chairman and find out what Tajik sardines must feel like!
- About the time we hitchhiked 300 km from Dushanbe to Dushanbe – Visiting Tajikistan’s capital, hearing some horror stories from other travellers and hitchhiking 300 km from Dushanbe to Dushanbe. How is this possible? Read on to find out…
- Groundhog Day and hitchhiking to the Pamir Mountains – Our second attempt at hitchhiking to the Pamir Mountains, meeting some interesting drivers and the beginning of probably our worst hitchhiking experience…
- Hitchhiking the Pamir Highway and shooting on the Afghan border – Hitchhiking the Pamir Highway was possibly the toughest journey in our lives. Read the story of our encounter with armed Afghans along the border and being hugely disappointed by our Chinese truck driver.
- Hitchhiking in the Pamirs and being trapped in a snow storm (+VIDEO) – Hitchhiking in the Pamirs during a heavy snow storm was one of the most terrifying experience ever but what a reward to arrive on the roof of the world and stay in the highest town of the former USSR!
Stunning natural places of interest
Check out the most beautiful corners of Tajikistan in our photos. There is much more to come so watch this space as we will keep updating it!
- Kayrakkum Reservoir – Located 15 km east of the major northern Tajik city of Khujand, the Kayrakkum Reservoir is a must for budding photographers, providing sparkling, icy blue waters with a dramatic mountain backdrop. Check out our photos of this stunning place!
- Iskanderkul Lake – Iskanderkul lake has it all and is a breathtaking landscape for those who make the effort to get to one of Tajikistan’s most hard to reach jewels. Set at 2195m above sea level, it is a great introduction to the Fann Mountains as the scenery along the winding dirt road is spectacular in itself.
Tajik culture and traditions
Learn more about the culture of Tajikistan:
- How to make Qurutob – Tajikistan’s national dish (article) – This communal dish, commonly eaten by hand, uses minimal ingredients to create a unique taste that is not to everyone’s liking…
- 10 Observations on Tajikistan culture and society – 10 Observations on Tajikistan culture and society – our subjective impressions from this rugged and cultural unique land: weddings, living conditions, cuisine, politics and more…
Practical information for every budget traveller in Tajikistan
- How to get a Tajikistan visa in Tashkent, Uzbekistan – All the useful information you need about getting your Tajikistan visa in Tashkent: required documents, embassy opening times, cost, waiting time and the best way of getting to the embassy using public transport.
- How to get a GBAO permit for the Pamirs in Dushanbe – All the useful information you need about getting your GBAO permit in Dushanbe: what is the GBAO? Where does it cover? OVIR opening times, info + maps and alternative options should you fail the official way…