Hitchhiking in Turkey VIDEO compilation
Turkey was the first country on our Long Way Home, a trip during which we will be trying to hitchhike over 27,000 km from Ankara back to Europe. It was our third visit to the country and our love for it can be proved by the amount of posts we have written about its monuments, culture and society.
Here is a short VIDEO compilation from our most recent 3-week stay in Turkey.
During our most recent visit to the country we covered 1612 km and hitchhiked with 25 wonderful drivers, which means that on average each person took us for 65 km!
Turkey in videos
If you are interested in Turkish culture we strongly recommend watching all our videos devoted to it:
- How to make Turkish tea – which we learnt from Ozkan in Ankara
- How to play the traditional game of Mancala – which we played on repeat from Trabzon onwards
- How to make traditional Turkish coffee – learning from our friend Mehmet in Erzurum
- Learning how to dance a Turkish folk dance, the Horon
- Our Turkish music exchange #1
Our hitchhiking adventures in Turkey
If you’d rather read about our adventures than watch videos, here you will find everything that happened to us in Turkey:
- From Ankara to Trabzon – the beginning of our journey and our adventures while hitchhiking between the capital of the country and along the Black Sea Coast
- Hitchhiking in the Pontic Mountains – a story about our short trip to the mountains where we nearly got stuck in the middle of the winter!
- From Trabzon to Erzurum – our dodgy stay in Trabzon, a short escape to Rize where we learn loads about Turkish food culture and onwards to the coldest place in the country.
- From Erzurum to Doğubayazıt – our stay in Erzurum, where we tried to learn some local dances, taught a Turkish man how to make an English pie and learnt how to prepare traditional Turkish coffee. Then we hitchhiked to Doğubayazıt and spread some spicy tunes.
- From Doğubayazıt to Tabriz – our stay in Doğubayazıt, our failed attempt to visit the Ishak Pasha Palace and perhaps our most intimidating hitchhike yet, trying to cross the Turkey-Iran border. Interested to see if they noticed that we didn’t have a guide? Then read on and find out how it all went …
Turkish culture and traditions
- Making traditional Turkish tea – information on this typical Turkish beverage and the best way to prepare it at home.
- The culture of Turkish tea houses (çayhane) – a sneaky peak into traditional Turkish tea houses revealing their culture and showing you some great photos of men playing typical Turkish games.
- Turkish people in 12 photos – a collection of photos showing regular Turkish people on the streets of Trabzon.
- How to make Turkish coffee – information by the wonderful Mehmet from Erzurum, with which you will soon be the master of the thickest, most dreamy beverage out there.
- 10 Turkish dishes you have to try while in Turkey (+7 simple recipes) – Learn how to make traditional Turkish dishes effortlessly! And if you’re not into cooking, check out some great dishes you should try during your next trip to Turkey!
- 5 Observations on Turkish culture and society – our subjective impressions from our third visit to the country. Have you been to Turkey? Would you agree? What else should be added? What else has drawn your attention?
Practical information for every budget traveller in Turkey
- How to hitchhike from Ankara to Samsun
- How to get an Uzbek visa in Ankara
- How to get an Iranian visa in Trabzon
- How to hitchhike from Samsun to Trabzon
- Ishak Pasha Palace, Doğubeyazıt – photo essay and tourist information
- How to travel Turkey for 5£ a day?