9 Things to do for free in Leon
Leon is comparatively inexpensive when measured against the rest of Spain but is still probably quite pricey for most. However, with a little help from your friends here at hitchhikershandbook there are some great things to do in the city without even spending a penny.
1. Perhaps the greatest thing about León is the free tapas you are given when you order any drink. Some of the tapa are like small meals in themselves and can save the budget travel the need to go to a restaurant.
2. The impressive Romanesque Basílica de San Isidoro de León (Basilica of San Isidoro) is Free to visit. The adjoining Panteón Real (Royal Pantheon) is the funeral chapel of the kings of León and is Free on Thursday: 4 p.m. – 6.30 p.m.
3. Two of León’s most impressive architectural wonders, Casa de los Botines and the Convento de San Marcos can only be seen from the outside but are definitely worth it.
4. The innovatively designed Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Castilla y León (Castile-Leon Museum of Contemporary Art) is Free on Sunday: 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
5. The two wonder squares of Plaza Mayor and Plaza de Santa María del Camino are both picture-perfect and portray such different faces of the city.
6. The charming Iglesia de San Marcelo (Church of St. Marcelo), which was constructed between 1588 and 1625 on the site of a 10th century church is Free to visit: Monday – Friday: 9.30 a.m. – 1.30 p.m. & 6.30 p.m. – 9 p.m. and on Sunday: 10.30 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 6.30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
7. Walking around León’s Casco Viejo (Old Town) and getting lost in its winding streets is a treat in itself and is of course free to enjoy.
8. The Museo de León (Leon Museum) offers a collection covering all historic periods of human activity in León, from the Palaeolithic right through to modern times. For pensioners, students and children it is always Free. For everybody else it is Free on Saturday & Sunday.
9. Palacio de los Guzmanes (Guzmans’ Palace) is 16th century Renaissance style palace which is now home to Provincial Government of León is is Free to visit from October 1st – June 30th: Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 2.30 p.m. & 4.30 p.m. – 6.30 p.m. and from July 1st – September 30th: Monday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.